He died of a brain haemorrhage yesterday, in Milan, at the age of 62.
Some factoids of a Ferre nature, by way of an obituary:
– Born in Legnano, northern Italy, on August 15th, 1944.
– Studied architecture in Milan, qualified in 1969, and moved into fashion within a few years.
– Has been called the ‘Frank Lloyd Wright of Italian fashion’.
– Was artistic director of Christian Dior for eight years, from 1989 to 1997.
– Was named Designer of the Year in 1984.
– Spent three years studying handicrafts in India in the early ’70s.
– Celebrity clients included Barbra Streisand and Princess Micheal of Kent.
– Was a very nice man.
More info on the above.