‘Noooo!’ you go. Then…
‘This might not actually be that bad…’
So, the concept is, you take one genius Susan Seidelman movie (she went on to direct key episodes of Sex and the City) starring Madonna in her finest film moment. Then you take the oeuvre of the hottest New York band of that – or any! – era (that would be Blondie), you mix it all up and make a West End musical out of it. And then you get that musical to start in, ooh, shall we say late October…
In bullet points the key facts you need to know about this musical are:
– Previews start on 12th October
– There’s no one in it you’ve ever heard of
– Deborah Harry (Not Debbie! NEVER Debbie!) and Chris Stein, that magic Blondie combo, have written a new song for it called ‘Moment of Truth’
– It will be at the Novello Theatre in London’s glittering Aldwych
– If you’re sure it’s your sort of thing, you can even book your tickets right now by phoning the telephone number 0870 950 0921
Now that musical ‘writers’ have plundered the works of artists like Abba (Mama Mia), Queen (We Will Rock You) and, ahem, Boney M (Daddy Cool) and film-makers such as Mel Brooks (The Producers, Young Frankenstein), John Waters (Hairspray) and Amy Heckerling (Clueless), are we to expect more hybrids like this version of DSS?
If so, may we suggest Lolita made with the songs of Gary Glitter, The Bitch made featuring the works of Diana Ross or maybe Some Like It Hot based on the collected works of RuPaul, though that would be a very short musical. But then again, don’t you love the idea of a very short musical?